In 2003 Mars was closer to the Earth and brighter in our sky than in nearly 60,000 years! In 2018 Mars will once again make a close approach, the best since 2003 and until 2050! For about 2 months, Mars will become the third brightest object in the night sky, after only the Moon and Venus (July 7th to September 7th)Mars opposition will occur on July 27th. Close approach for Mars will be a few days later on July 31st.
Mars will be viewable through most of the summer, with good observing from June into September. Jupiter and Saturn will also be observable for much of the summer. Like 2003, the media will be running the Mars story heavily and both telescope and accessory sales will experience a major demand spike! Mars can be observed through any telescope, but more detail will be seen through larger telescopes. Accessories like filters and Barlow lenses will help magnify and bring out detail in the Martian surface.
• Mars observing kit is the perfect accessory bundle for any telescope that accepts 1.25” eyepieces
• 2x Barlow lens doubles the power of any 1.25” telescope eyepiece
• Barlow lens has built in t-threads to attach a DSLR camera (t-ring not included)
• #80A filter helps observe Martian polar caps and high clouds
• #25 filter brings out detail in maria and polar ice caps
• #56 filter assists in viewing dust storms and polar caps
• Hard plastic case to hold accessories
• Bonus Mars opposition observing guide included
• Accessories are not only great for viewing Mars, they can also be used to observe Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon and many other astronomical objects